Our main 3 services
Look around, most roofs in your neighborhood are Asphalt Shingles (also called Composition Shingles.) There’s a good reason for their success. They are moderately priced and perform very well when properly installed. They are usually classified by the length of their Material Warranties: Lifetime, 50 year, 30 year, 20 year. The longer the Warranty—the heavier the shingle will weight.
Life, 50, 30 years for Material
The Architect 80 has been a huge success in Hawaii for decades. They keep improving their warranties, especially against high winds. Do not count on the government or even your insurance company, to bail you out if the next hurricane decides to hits Oahu directly, instead of Kaui. Go for the highest wind rating you can afford.
The algae warranties are really important in Hawaii , because nothing makes your roof looks dingy like a buch of streaky mildew. Plus it eats away at your protective granules and lowers the life of your roof. And it makes your home hot in the summer. Be wise.
- The Asphalt Shingle (also known as Composition Shingle) is perhaps the most popular sloped roof of all time in the United States. It’s low cost, easy installation, and it’s ability to be walked on without breaking make it well loved.
- The heavier versions of the shingle have good wind uplift ratings when they are first installed. Over time they become brittle, due to the sun’s UV exposure, and can blow off. They can, however, be preserved with a waterproof Roof Coating, such as Hawaiian SunGuard.
- The look can be quite dramatic when you go for the higher end Presidential or Grand Manor shingles.
- Your roof will look like everyone else’s in your neighborhood. Is that a bad thing?
- These roofs can be very hot in the summer. Be sure to install some solar roof vents to comply with the Manufacturer’s requirements for their longest Warranties.
- There costs have risen with increased oil prices worldwide.
Frequent Asked Shingle Questions
Q: How can I protect my shingle roof from high wind damage?
A: For long lasting resistance we recommend installing roof coatings. We can also install a termination bar to reinforce the bottom row of your shingle roof.
Q: Which is best for my shingle roof, Silicone or Acrylic Roof Coatings?
A: Silicone roof coatings are best for low pitch roofs under 4:12-6:12. Otherwise choose an Acrylic coating.
Q: What are the bestselling shingles?
A: The top brands we recommend would be Certainteed, Malarky, Landmark, Pro Shake, GAF Timberland and Owen’s Corning.
Q: Can I coat Wood Shake?
A: No. However, it is recommended to have your Wood shake roof oiled every 10 years.
Your Shingle Roof Questions Answered, Watch Below!
Traditional Shingle Roofing Services
Being the most common roof type in Hawaii, we deal with shingle roofs almost daily. Often problems occur when the shingles get old and brittle (average lifespan is 15-25 years). When this happens, LeakMaster can tear them off and put on a whole new shingle roof. Common shingles are basic 3-tab shingle or higher quality dimensional shingles. All new shingles come in a variety of colors to choose from.
Shingle Roof Repairs
Here in Hawai’i, shingle roofs are threatened by high winds and heavy rain. Storms often cause shingles to blow off leaving your entire home vulnerable. When this happens LeakMaster can offer emergency tarping to keep you protected until we can replace or repair the damaged shingles.
We inspect the bare wood sheathing or metal flashing for damage and repair as needed. LeakMaster can also put an aluminum termination bar along the roofs edge upon request. This protects the vulnerable first row from blowing off.
LeakMaster won’t sell you a new roof if all you need is a repair.
Shingle Roof Coatings
An extremely popular option our clients take is to coat their shingle roofs. Whether you have a leak, need extra protection from the elements, want to cool your home, or you just simply want to blend into the color scheme of your neighborhood better; Roof coatings take care of it.
Some of the products we use even carry long warranties, up to 50 years in some cases.